Saturday 23 July 2011

SNGF: Where I'm From

This week's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun challenge from Randy Seaver is to write a poem about "Where I'm From" using the template found at the website http://www.swva.net/fred1st/wif.htm.

Here is my entry:

Where I'm From

I am from toast and dripping, Hovis and honey, full cream milk and eggy soldiers.

I am from a pebble-dashed semi - coal bunker, Mabel Lucy Attwell print, ginger kitten climbing the curtains - next door to the district nurse.

I am from the rose trellis and vegetable plot, compost heap and cherry tree. Opposite the oak wood dell, pirate haven and Red Indian camp, where my brother fell from a tree.

I am from grammar school education and eccentricity, Scottish pride and London poverty. I am from upstairs and downstairs - Alban and Georgina and Viv and Alice.

I am from wanderlust and laughter, a passion for history and the gift of the gab. From "I can see a way round this" to "you get yours, mate".

I am from mixed-marriage, second-class, never quite good enough Catholics. I am from Bible believing Baptists, upwardly mobile Methodists, bells and smells Anglicans, down the pub atheists.

I am from the Surrey hills, channelling Dorset, Yorkshire, London. I am from the Braes of Atholl and from the Blarney Stone. I am from puddings - Christmas and Yorkshire - spaghetti bolognese and the Chinese chippy.

I am from the snake in Dad's tent and the flood over the library. I am from Passchendaele and Poona. From the Rector of Brympton and McCarthy of the Yard.

I am from a biscuit tin of photos, tea-time stories, Grandma's memories. I am from a crocheted cot blanket, an ivory hairbrush and a tortoiseshell mirror.

I am from strong roots in good soil.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying reading all the different poems. Enjoyed yours. need to finish mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind comments, ladies. I really enjoyed writing this poem. It brought back a lot of childhood memories and made me feel quite emotional. My 91 year old Mum loves it so I'm going to print it out and frame it for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I love your ending (which was a hard part for me when I did mine). Great job!

    Renate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Renate. I found the ending really difficult as well.

    ReplyDelete