Sunday 9 October 2011

SNGF: Genealogy Database Statistics

 

Tonight's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun challenge from Randy Seaver is:

1)  If you have your family tree research in a Genealogy Management Program (GMP), whether a computer software program or an online family tree, figure out how to find how many persons, places, sources, etc. are in your database.

2)  Tell us which GMP you use, and how many persons, places, sources, etc. are in your database(s) today.

 

Family Tree Maker

I use Family Tree Maker 2012 (FTM) for my genealogy research. I went to Plan > Current Tree > More to find my file statistics.

 

FTM stats

 

This shows me that in my database I have:

  • 5,096 people
  • 1,374 marriages
  • 14 generations
  • 1,015 surnames
  • 1,911 places
  • 63 sources
  • 425 media
  • average lifespan 57.3 years
  • earliest birth date before 1555
  • most recent birth date 11 March 2011

My daughter is due to have her first baby two weeks today, so that last statistic will soon change.

 

The Next Generation

I use The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding (TNG) to publish my family history online. TNG also produces database statistics. These are slightly different from FTM because I haven't synced the two programs for a couple of days.

 

TNG stats

 

The TNG statistics provide me with the additional information that in my database I have:

  • 2,576 males (50.57%)
  • 2,499 females (49.06%)
  • 19 unknown gender (0.37%)
  • total living 582
  • total families 1,536
  • average lifespan 60 years 88 days
  • longest lived person 106 years

The large discrepancy in the average lifespan between FTM and TNG is surprising and I must investigate that further.

No comments:

Post a Comment